Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rez . . what's it all about, alfie?.

I thought it fitting that I jump onto the blogosphere on the weekend we observe/celebrate resurrection (we xians, i.e.). I have admired from a distance many other bloggers and now I are one! I haven't the foggiest what the resurrection is all about, definitively. I do not think it is merely an actual, literal, historical event that xians have to hang our hat on or we are not xians. It is not one of the things on the list where we sign on the dotted line. I have come to understand this not from studying theology (though I've done that), not from a 'dark night of the soul' confirming experience, or not even from the holy spirit revealing this to me (whatever the hell that means!), but from officiating at funerals, from being w/ people when people they love die. That's right, I've come to understand this more clearly from learning more about death and what happens to people when someone checks out. I think resurrection is that which we do when we want someone (or something) to keep on living. How that is experienced is done in several ways: remembrance (anamnesis), love (indescribable, enduring love), items (photos, books, clothing), and laughter. In these ways--and countless other ways--someone or something has a life of its own and in some ways never really dies. I am continually trying to understand this, and help others understand, too, maybe. In the end, I'm just not really sure.

As my blog name suggests, I think that if in our lives we are not struggling, then in some ways we are not living. Maybe resurrection is yet another way we indeed keep on living in the very midst of that struggle we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment